Friday 13 September 2013

'The Call' film review.

'The Call'

Director- Brad Anderson
Starring- Halle Berry
Abigail Breslin
Morris Chestnut

This film sounded ridiculous to me, let's see if I was right.

What happened Halle?
Plot
Jordan is a 9-1-1 operator, she has had a tough time of it lately, a botched procedure with a 9-1-1 caller six months ago has scared her away from phones, at least until teenager Casey Welson is kidnapped. Since Jordan is the veteran operator in the Los Angeles Police Department she is clearly the best choice, even though she is still reeling from the horrible events of that day. 

Good
The camera angles are interesting, the unusual use of animal sound effects intensifies the more aggressive and violent scenes. Abigail  plays a convincing sobbing, annoying teenager so I suppose that is a plus.

This was not going to be as enjoyable a car journey as the one in 'Little Miss Sunshine'and I think she knows
Bad
Everything, Halle Berry is your cliched heroine who is out  to prove she can get the job done, she is a woman on a mission. She is a Capricorn, which apparently means you're a fighter, I have never heard this and I don't think I'll hear this fact ever again. What I learned from this little road trip is there is little to no common sense in America. For fifteen minutes Abigail is crying over Halle Berry's advice, then they have a conversation about Bridesmaids, the film, and continue on with the kidnapping. Every time someone might be able to save Abigail  from the kidnapper that person decides to do something absolutely moronic allowing the incompetent kidnapper to get away. This brings me to the serial killer/kidnapper. Never have I seen such an idiotic serial killer, there is no finesse, n  planning just a simple thought that I imagined went through his head, ' I need some paint and a blonde girl, time to go to the mall'. The film offends on a lot of levels, the ending is predictable, the characters are laughable and the "tension" is half-assed. I've been looking at apartments recently and when I came out of this film I realised a lot  of the same rules apply. Promotions for the property can be misleading, the quality can be increased with the right lighting and some times you pay for the location not the apartment. You are paying to see this film because of Halle Berry,
not because this is a good film but because of the star attached to it.

This is one of a multitude of "special" faces the villain makes throughout the film.
Ugly
This is not a film, it is an extended episode of 'Law and Order' and not a good one. The cliches came hard and fast, especially towards the end, and for that I had a few laughs.
Rating; 2/10  

Thank God for a well timed breeze, if you see this film you'll get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment